Last updated 22 May 2018
Digital UK Limited, the operator of this website ("Digital UK", "we", "us" or "our") respects the privacy of our customers and every individual who visits this website (the "Website"). This Privacy Notice governs the way in which we collect, use and disclose your personal information when you visit our Website and/or contact us via post, email or call the advice line for digital television (the “Advice Line”).
To find out more, please continue reading or click on the link below to jump to the section you are interested in:
We collect the following personal information from or about you when you use our Website and/or contact us via post, email or call the Advice Line:
(a) Information you give us voluntarily
When you use our Website or contact us, you may be asked to provide certain personal information to us - for example, to register for a service that we provide (such as subscribing to a newsletter), to report a problem with your digital television service or to contact us with general enquiries. You may also provide us with your house number and postcode when using our 'Coverage Checker' or 'Find Help' services or to when speaking to an Advice Line agent. When we ask you to provide personal information to us, we will make clear what personal information we require and why.
(b) Information we collect automatically
We use this information for internal analytical reasons, such as to identify the popularity of particular pages on our Website. The types of information we collect automatically include the IP address of your device, details about the web browser you are using, details of any links you access on our Website and the time and date you visited our Website.
(c) Information that we obtain from third party sources
From time to time, we may receive personal information about you from third party sources (including the third-party operator of our Advice Line, channel operators or Members of Parliament), but only where we have checked that these third parties either have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted or required to disclose your personal information to us (to report or resolve a digital television issue).
The types of information we collect from third parties include your personal information and details of any relevant digital television issue and we use the information we receive from these third parties to address your concerns and try to resolve the matter.
We use the personal information we collect about you in the following ways:
• to operate and maintain our Website, including any services we make available through the Website;
• to send you communications (for example, our newsletter) in accordance with your expressed communications preferences;
• to provide you with support when you contact us (for example, troubleshooting assistance with your Freeview devices/platform/aerial, or where you might be inquiring about or experiencing digital television issues);
• to provide you with information about Freeview and Freeview Play products or services when you contact us; and
• for our general analytics and research purposes, to help us understand the information and support that the general public require with respect to digital television.
We may disclose your Personal Information to the following categories of recipients:
• to our group companies and DTV Services Limited (known as “Freeview”) to use the information for the purposes described in this notice;
• to third party service providers and partners (for example, to provide you home aerial support where required), who provide data processing services to us (for example, to support the delivery of, provide functionality on, or help to enhance the security of our Website), or who otherwise process personal information for purposes that are described in this privacy notice or notified to you when we collect your personal information;
• to any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
• to a potential buyer (and its agents and advisers) in connection with any proposed purchase, merger or acquisition of any part of our business, provided that we inform the buyer it must use your personal information only for the purposes disclosed in this Privacy Notice;
• to any other person with your consent to the disclosure.
Our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the Personal Information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
However, we will normally collect personal information from you only where we have your consent to do so or where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to process your personal information.
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided under the “Questions About This Privacy Notice” heading below.
Your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the UK where we are located. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country (and, in some cases, may not be as protective), however we take measures to ensure your personal information is protected in accordance with this Privacy Notice at all times.
Our Website servers are located in the UK, and our group companies and third party service providers and partners operate in the UK and Australia. This means that when we collect your Personal Information we may process it in any of these countries.
We have taken appropriate safeguards to require that your Personal Information will remain protected in accordance with this Privacy Notice. For further details of these safeguards please use the contact details below.
Find out more in our Cookies Notice here.
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested, to resolve and report on a digital television issue or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymise it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your Personal Information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your Personal Information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
You have the following data protection rights:
• If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided below.
• In addition, if you are a resident of the European Union, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your Personal Information or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided below.
• You have the right to opt-out of communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the e-mails we send you.
• Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
• You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. Contact details for the UK Information Commissioner's Office can be found at www.ico.org.uk.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Please note that before we are able to provide you with any personal information or correct any inaccuracies, we may ask you to verify your identity and to provide other details to help us to respond to your request. We will endeavour to respond within an appropriate timeframe and, in any event, within any timescales required by law.
We use appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information.
However, please note that the transmission of any information via the Internet can never be guaranteed completely secure, so it is important you take measures to protect yourself too (for example, by installing anti-virus software).
This Website contains hyperlinks to websites owned and operated by third parties. Those websites have their own privacy notices and we encourage you to review them, as they will govern the use of personal information you submit whilst visiting those websites. Digital UK is not responsible for the privacy practices of third party websites.
We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time in response to changing legal, technical or business developments. When we update our Privacy Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. We will obtain your consent to any material Privacy Notice changes if and where this is required by applicable data protection laws.
You can see when this Privacy Notice was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the top of this Privacy Notice.
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your Personal Information, please contact Legal Department, Digital UK, 2nd Floor, 27 Mortimer Street, London W1T 3JF.
The data controller of your Personal Information is Digital UK Ltd which is registered with the ICO with registration number Z9156270.